This section of the site contains interactive star charts and pre produced charts of some well known and interesting astronomical deep sky catalogues. These charts are freely available and I have converted them to SVG for use on wikipedia. The following pages break down as:
- Interactive star chart use this to move around the sky and generate charts of individual areas.
- Set of pre-generate Tirion Charts all set to coincide with the famous Sky Atlas 2000.0. These are useful if you like to scribble on charts in the field or make some notes without ruining your actual atlas (especially with it being so expensive to buy nowadays!)
- Monthly all sky star chart centred on each month of the year, with the meridian for about 11pm in the centre of each each chart.
- For the Messier catalogue follow these links:
- For the Caldwell catalogue I have a list (PDF, Excel and online) and a PDF chart:
- For the Herschel 400 catalogue I have a list (PDF, Excel and online) and a PDF chart:
- You can also download PDF & Spread sheets of all of the objects on the above pages.
- You can also download an Adobe Illustrator editable star chart version of the charts on this page.
- Objects by type All sky star charts with each displaying just planetary nebulae or galaxies etc.
- DSO’s Near Stars “Easier” to find objects near bright stars.
- SynScan Alignment Star Charts showing SynScan Alignment Stars used by the SynScan controllers (for the NEQ6 GEM for example).
- Search the catalogue by name, id…
- Data Credits for the data you see in these charts.
Note: All of the PDF charts on this site are designed to be printed A3 (although you can print A4 at a push) and printed as a single sheet back-to-back (i.e. duplex).